Tuesday, October 16, 2012

How to Have a Happy Thought

The Church of Happy Thoughts
the one truly unorganized church

How to Have a Happy Thought

We asked the captain what course of action he proposed to take toward a beast so large, terrifying, and unpredictable. He hesitated to answer, then said judiciously:  "I think I shall praise it."  Hass


So.
Day 6.


Happiness first.
Repeat.
Get yourself into this moment.
Literally.  Notice something in your immediate experience that you like.
(even if you have to go to the sun, moon and stars, see above)
Breathe.  Wherever you are. Whatever you're doing.  Whatever you are thinking about.
1,2,3 in
4,5,6,7,out
pause
1,2,3 in
4,5,6,7,out
pause

And say to yourself, whether you believe it or not

"Right this moment, I have everything I need."

If you are in an emergency happy thought situation,
like I was yesterday,
have available to you some default happy thoughts.
some of mine are:
just for suggestions,
it doesn't HAVE to be a lot of money or a car or house at the beach..
although it CAN be..
I suggest something that you can envision in your experience right now.
That is, in my opinion,
one of the differences between a happy thought and a visualization.

forget me nots (those little periwinkle colored flowers)
sometimes just the color periwinkle..it's sort of blue and purple mixed.. is enough
my one year old grandaughter's toes in the river
picturing the seed pods in the middle of some wild flowers on a long walk I was taking up a beautiful road in upstate new york 2 weekends ago

just to remind me about life.

Which then sometimes reminds me about how bugs make love which is a truly
unending source of happy thinking.

The sky full of snowflakes.

BUT, the point IS, whatever can make YOU happy right this moment.
That is, evidently,
the new Dharma.
or A new Dharma,
YOUR way, your practice, your happiness, your praise
is THE way.
That's pretty exciting.  I think, a happy thought all by itself.
If you decide your way to enlightenment is walking around the block or eating almond butter  or drinking tea, coffee, (anything but the koolaid..that's the point.. not to follow anyone elses way..
only for suggestions, of course.)

So.
If you are in an emergency situation, and you need a happy thought RIGHT NOW,
and you know it,
sometimes you have to actually TELL Yourself, out loud,
"Happy thought.  Right now.  Get it. Have it. Be it."

I've had that situation only too many times.
Like yesterday.
But, this is definitely NOT about yesterday.
I did think about the seed pods.
Because, well, I needed to think, immediately, about possibilities.
That my life is not over, just because my career seems to be.

Again.

And here is the truth.
Happiness first.
Today.  All is somehow better.
I have a friend who manages to make me laugh no matter what. I would write what she said here,
but, it may not be politically correct..so to speak..
one of those things that you had to be there.
but, it made me laugh.
out loud.
as they say.
Then, today, I got a message from another high thinking friend, with whom I'd lost touch for over a year, and we will talk later today,
and
all will be even better.
I know it.

So.
Trust.
Get happy first.
just the tiniest bit happier.
and see what happens.

If you CAN, think that whatever it is that comes your way and immediately robs you of your peace and happiness,
 might be your own soul
leading you somewhere you actually want to go,
but maybe forgot, or are not aware of,
and,

if you CAN,

Praise it.



Julie






















No comments:

Post a Comment