Thursday, October 18, 2012

Time to talk about the Moment

The Church of Happy Thoughts
Established 1995
Member since forever
the one truly unorganized church

Time, This Minute, and the Moment



It might be time to talk about the moment.

This morning, I was standing at the corner of 2nd Avenue and East 10th Street, nyc.  Again, the sky is a stunning blue. 





I notice this steeple against the sky, right across the street.  The weathervane on the top is pointing directly west, right down 10th street, and I wonder if it's actually working. Probably not.   But, nonetheless, it is a beautiful piece of art... simple and beautiful.  Form and function.

There are two clocks, also simply beautiful... I suspect there are two more as well.  But, the clock facing me said 6:22.   Something about that struck me so funny.  It was probably 9:10, but at that church it is alwasy 6:22.  Then, as I turned down 10th heading east, I could see the other clock more clearly.  It said 6:11.  I again thought it was funny that at least they had stopped within the same hour. 

The next thing that was interesting about these two clocks, to me, was that 11 and 22 are master numbers.  While it would be fun to explore that, here, it could take a day or two, so maybe another time. 

The rest of the way home, I was thinking about time.  How I'd thought it was the "wrong" time, because anybody walking by would certainly KNOW it's about 9:10 am, here in New York. 

A number of thoughts dropped in my mine about timekeeping.  Pocket watches, bell towers,  on and on..  What time it might be in Japan right now.. When did it turn Thursday there.. and isn't that wild to think about leaving somewhere in the evening of one day and arrive there on the evening of the same day...after traveling 12 hours..or however that works. 

But, then I said, to myself, wait a minute Julie, you know this...  even though it may be 12 hours later or earlier according to the efficient time zones we have devised to keep us "on time"... and organized, and also somehow separated from each other.. 

It is still just THIS MOMENT EVERYWHERE.   Right this moment, whether in Japan, Iceland or New York, even though it's morning, noon or night,

It is still THIS MOMENT. 

This moment.  not this "minute"...that's something else...that's the thing that determines whether you are going to miss your flight..  

This moment is the place where we all live together.


Funny.  When I think about that... I feel a certain kind of peace.  

And that is a happy thought.



Julie














No comments:

Post a Comment