Friday, October 12, 2012

The Moment: overused, underunderstood cliche

The Church of Happy Thoughts
the one truly unorganized church



How to Have a Happy Thought
Number One:
get into the moment.
I know I know, overused, underunderstood cliche.
"get into the moment".
But, true peace may be there,
so,
it's worth a shot.

First of all, let me say this... there are billions of ways and infinite happy thoughts that are possible and in fact happening at this very moment.  They just drop in unexpectedly when we see, touch, hear, smell, taste something, someone, somewhere that makes us happy. 

That is good. 

And then, there are those times when other kinds of thoughts,
not so happy ones,
(we all know what those are),
that are often based in fear of the future
or
disappointment (to say the least)
in the past.

Those just drop in, too.  And, I used to think I had to have them. They were mine. 
I started to be aware of this years ago, when I needed to forgive someone.
I just couldn't do it.
Someone told me to right it out 70 time 70 times,
my act of forgiveness.
no go.
I tried dissecting the word into it's ancient origins to get a glimpse of what
it actually MEANS.
Interesting.
but, no go.
I became aware, acutely of this problem because I was suffering.
The lack of forgiveness was making ME suffer.
It wasn't doing anything to him.
He was fine.
Happy even.
And cared not one twit whether I forgave him or not.
Didn't even ask for it.  forgiveness.
I think that's what really made me burn.

So, I said this has GOT to stop. It is only hurting ME, as those "how could you" thoughts just dropped in and spiraled me down from one to the next to the next to the next.

So. One day. Driving down a familiar road home.  It came to me.  If you forgive someone a debt,
let's say they owe you $100, 
And, one day, you say to them,
"Frank, Sue, whoever, You don't owe me that $100 anymore.  I've decided to forgive the debt."
for whatever reason.  The slate is clean.  In fact, in that situation, there no longer is a slate.

So, I started thinking about that.  Frank or Sue doesn't owe me anything anymore.
My decision.
I started picturing in my mind these little scissors cutting the ribbons that were attaching me to expectations from this person.
With each clip and ribbon falling away, I said you don't owe me anything.
Not loyalty.  Not honesty.  Not gratitude. Not anything.
And, within moments,
I was free.
After that, everytime an unhappy thought dropped in about that particular situation,
as soon as I realized I was swirling down,
I just started to think about those little ribbons, and the scissors
dropping them away one by one and "you don't owe me anything anymore."
I will not expect it. or wish for it. or even WANT it.  and
"I don't owe you anything anymore."
I am free.

So. I digress.  We are talking about Happy Thoughts, here, and how to have them.

But, I think it sometimes begins with the notion that you CAN
no matter what.
Find a way.
or Make a way.
In those moments when the not so happy ones are taking away your peace.

So.
Get into the moment.
HOW DO WE DO THAT.
one way:
(and, by the way, you don't have to be sitting in lotus position or anywhere special to do this.  Walking down the street, anywhere.)

But, as usual, it involves breathing.
For one thing, if you decide to take a moment to think about breathing, you really can't be thinking about anything else, in that moment.
so, that's a start.
Breathe in.  1,2, 3
Breathe out.  4,5,6,7  pause,
Breathe in.  1,2,3
Breathe out.  4,5,6,7

I'm told if you do this 17 times, you find yourself in a place where you can possibly allow
all kinds of happiness to come in.
However, if you do that, it might not be best to be on the street.
You might forget to look both ways.

If you just start with THIS,
breathing,
The rest just falls into place.

Next.
Find ONE thing around you.. there may be many, there may be only one, but find ONE thing around you that you like.  This moment.
The wind on your face.
a baby in a stroller walking by.
a bird's call.  Listen. Often when you least expect it,
you can hear a bird calling.
The smell of ginger tea, coffee,  Anything. it does not matter.
If there is NOTHING in your immediate surroundings that you like...not your hands, your hair, nothing,  and there are those times,
THEN, the default surroundings are things like
the sky, the sun, the stars that are shining somewhere, the stars that are birthing, the clouds.

One thing I like to think is that when I am standing outside, in  city or in a field,  from the top of my head, there is nothing between me and infinity.
  I am standing on this planet, somehow miraculously attached to it by whatever gravity really is, but, except for the occasional plane or satellite that might pass overhead,
it's just me and everywhere.  Here. Now.  This moment.

That may not be a happy thought to everyone, but, it gets me into a place where I am not confined by this planet, the people, ideas, or anything around me.  Just me and the wild possibilities.

I digress.
again.

Then. This is important.
Say to yourself:
Right this moment, I have everything I need.

The next time you breathe out,
you may notice a feeling of release, or relaxation, call it peace, in that area just below your ribs.
Often called the center of your being.

You may not actually believe it, that you have everything you need. 

But, in this moment,
if you are breathing,
you do.


What a happy thought.


Julie














No comments:

Post a Comment