Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Video of a Bluebird hatching

The Church of Happy Thoughts
the one truly unorganized church
A happy thought about bluebirds.
Late in the 1970's, bluebird numbers had declined significantly.  The Cornell University ornithology lab was part of a yearly backyard bird count in the Southern U.S., when, in 2005, there were numerous bluebird sightings, that have continued to grow.  The return of the bluebirds was largely attributed to a movement of volunteers establishing and maintaining bluebird trails, just for the love of bluebirds.
What does this have to do with Happy Thinking?
Well, it's a happy thought that they returned, that's obvious.  
But, perhaps more importantly, the bluebirds did what they were supposed to do as bluebirds.  Find a place to nest, and make baby bluebirds. 
When you breathe in, 1,2,3  and out, 4,5,6,7, and you find yourself in this moment... feeling the wind on your face, hearing something you weren't hearing but moments before, finding something in your immediate world that you like, and letting your mind go THERE.  HERE.  NOW.    If you happen to be near a tree, or a bush, or a blooming flower, it might be fun, well happy, to know, remember,  that everything is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing.  The trees are quietly growing, changing  with the seasons, birds and bugs are doing exactly what they do, if they are there, here, they have everything they need this moment.  Just like you.
Making my way from 6th avenue and 11th street to the east village this morning, I was walking along breathing in 1,2,3 and out 4,5,6,7 pause.   In, out.  The sky was amazingly blue.  I was determined to NOT think about what I'm doing with my life, and only getting to the place of knowing I have everything I need at this moment, the next moments will take care of themselves.   It will all be very clear. 
I was standing on the corner of 5th avenue and 13th street, when I noticed how particularly beautifully blue the sky is this morning.  I looked down 5th ave. The sun is shining,  on the buildings on the west side of the street, and, looking at the intense blue sky over 5th avenue, right at that moment, a balloon floated over the tops of the buildings and across 5th avenue.  If I hadn't been intentionally looking at the sky at that moment, I would have missed it.  For one thing, the balloon was almost exactly sky blue.  It only took a few seconds for the balloon to float over 5th avenue and disappear behind the buildings.    Now,  seeing a balloon isn't necessarily an extraordinary happy thought...but,  aaahhhhh....THIS  is:   At the moment I needed it most, I was reminded that my timing is impeccable.  I am always at the right place at the right time.  I have nothing to worry about...thinking about the future often causes suffering.  Thinking about the past often causes suffering.  (woulda coulda shoulda).   But, if you are open in this moment to the possibility that all is well... you might see a balloon float by... if you're in some other moment, you might just miss it. 
Oh, also, I had wanted to mention that if there is no immediate something in your surroundings that can send you into a happy thought,  not the sky or the thought of infinity from the top of your head, you might have to create it.  You might have to GO somewhere that you are pretty sure will offer something to praise. 
Like Murray's Bagels, for example.
That's one of the places I go.  Today, I fell in love twice there.  People who know me will know that is exactly what I mean.  One was the guy behind me in line ordering a scooped out whole wheat bagel filled with tuna, at 8:30 am, and the other was seeing a world war II veteran, wearing his army corps cap, running into a long lost friend.  I fell in love with them both.  So, I guess, technically, that's 3.
Talk about a happy thought.
It's almost as good as a baby bluebird finding its way into the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment